Sunday, 8 June 2008

Tired

I'm having a really hard time right now believing there is anything different about Kayne. I'm really doubting that he is gifted. Even saying the word makes me feel like I'm being stupid, that he is just normal. I look on various forums and all i can see is children that are more advanced for their age than Kayne is. Now i know i shouldn't compare, that it doesn't change what he is able to do, but i never know whether to join and join in. I fear that i may just seem like 'that mum'. But i know that he doesn't fit with other kids his age (and that i don't fit with their parents).
We get a lot of support from my In Laws which is great. But my parents don't seem to understand how different he is. My dad didn't believe he could read until he saw him doing it about 1 year after he started. My sister even said to me today that she thought 'if he is different in anyway its that he has an OCD' !! i had to bite my reaction. Yes, he has awful reactions/meltdowns about things(someone them seemingly meaningless to us), which could be called OCD, add that to with the people who say they think he has Aspergers because he doesn't make friends with ease. I'm sick of people trying to label him with some disorder. I think it's to do with how bright he is. That they don't realise how intelligent children can be, how they can think like an adult. Somehow my parents make me feel like I'm being stupid.
I don't think they realise how embarrassed i felt when i told the school on the intro day that he could read. Or how it feels when he comes out so happy telling me he has a new reading book and i tell him how great that is and then i see all the other parents grab their child's book bag on the way out and check it.
I'm tired, tired of him refusing school when his friend isn't there, tired of having to explain excatly where we are going, why and for how long, of him dominating my mum (which is somehow my fault), of skirting round things that involve school and how well he is doing, of having to head-off meltdowns as they start to arise, of having diffuse between Mark and Kayne as they make each other worse (without causing problems between Mark and I), of having to make choices that compromise between his ability and innocence, of fighting his perfectionism and of feeling like i have no friends.

1 comment:

tri-moms said...

Drop me an email, we can meet for a coffee... hannahquay@hotmail.com I am around any morning (except Monday). I have been in a similar position to how you are feeling right now.

PS This is my other blog name btw!