Friday, 27 June 2008

Chat about next year...

I went to see Kayne's teacher to find out what they were going to do with him next year. Would they let him do maths with the yr1's? what about the phonics? etc.
So this is what i find out.

They will challenge him from his level, but not move him to yr1 for maths. I think what she was trying to say was that they will enrich for him not accelerate. There were a few bits that worried me, something about there would be too bigger a gap between him and the other kids - isn't there already?
They talked about setting up a guided reading group as he can read, with other similar children, but also said there were no other children like him in the nursery... then added but there are alot of new children coming in in September. The G&T coordinator knows about him and he is on their G&T list.

They are pairing him with kids to get him to be more social, as he is very independent and has tunnel vision when it comes to tasks and doesn't like others to help him. He has one 2 way friendship.

His writing isn't so great but then i think he's 4...
His physical / social points on the early years are low / normal. and his academic is at the top and more.

I feel ok, i don't think that their maths plan is gonna work for him. i can't see how they will be able to enrich him below his level and him be happy about it. I don't really care if there is going to be too bigger a gap between him and the others... there already is.
The school is really good but i'm not sure that they realise intelligence touches every area of a child.
I feel dumb for going in and asking. It's made me determined to go to the NAGC weekend. I don't know why but i just felt that i was considered pestering. I just i'll be a 'good parent' now and leave them to it - you know like free child care and what have you.
I got a wow when i said about him learning the basic phonic sounds in 10 days, but i also got the 'do you do alot with him at home?' question AKA 'are you tutoring him?'

No comments: